blog hop--writing process

Travis Heerman conned asked me to participate in this blog hop (a term I believe I coined ten years ago, actually, though it meant something different to me). Deal is: we all answer the same four questions and then choose new victims writers.

Below are the writers--of which there are three because they are our original #BAM!10K girls from Fakebook. Varied writers with varied stories and books and awesome people all around. So go 'long in about a week go check'm out.



What are you working on?

I'm currently working on two projects: ENEMY, the third installment in the BOOKS OF THE SEVEN EYES series, which is epic fantasy. I'm also doing a final polish on SILVER SCAR a futuristic fantasy set in Boulder, Colorado.

How does your work differ from others in its genre?

THE SEVEN EYES probably is most distinguished by its themes of prejudice and religion. I tend to write anti-heroes, though Draken toes that line because I love me some epic hero archetypes. I also tend to write quicker-moving, action-filled plots than a lot of epic fantasy out there. 

Why do you write what you write?

I've always loved reading speculative fiction. I also do a lot of exploration of the themes I spend my life thinking about: belonging and "the other" (though I hate that term), religion and faith, and the tension between Goodness and Violence. I find these themes drop neatly into epic fantasy without offending anyone too badly. Most of my stories also have an element of mystery to them. I actually have plans to write an epic fantasy mystery series next. 

What is your writing process?

I write an elevator pitch, a query/back cover copy, and then  a 2-10 page synopsis before writing--unless I get a firm grasp of what an opening scene is, I might jump into it and go back to the synopsis. But I never let myself get too far without knowing quite a few plot points--the tent pole scenes--and details and climax. It's a habit I've gotten into because of trying to sell on spec.  The writing itself: I do rolling revisions--revise as I draft--so I don't end up with a zeroth or first draft but more the third/fifth draft or so by the time I write . My drafting might be slower compared with other writers (I try for 5-10k words a week, closer to 10 on a good week) but revisions tend to go quickly and I really can't stand sorting out a big mess of a manuscript. Did it once. Never again.

No comments: