caught

Trinidad is a man caught between two worlds. He grew up the child of Wiccan ecoterrorists, suicide bombers who also took his little brother and several Christians with them. After that happened, a kindly man, a priest, raised him. There's a solidity in the Church that young Trinidad craved, and he felt he must make up for the sins of his parents, so he dedicated his life to protecting his priest and his church. He is about as one-sidedly Christian as they come. But of course, Castile comes along, his childhood Wiccan friend, to show him that Christianity doesn't have all the answers, and that all Wiccans, and not even all eco-terrorists, are bad.

Trin's resistant, of course, and he has to face the latent mistrust from his Order and his Church. Castile and Trin can solve a common problem, but Trinidad must let his carefully constructed walls fall to do that. So eventually, he is going to have to accept himself as he is, not just the archwarden facade that has served him well these many years. How's he going to do that?

I have an idea, but I haven't written the ending scenes yet.

Obviously, if you read this, then you realize SCAR is really about my own struggle with being caught between conflicting worlds. Writing it now, it seems so obvious, but I've just realized. (I've always been a little slow on the uptake.) But if I had to choose my defining characteristic, it's "not belonging." And whadoyaknow? it's Trinidad's, too.

Anyway, it explains a lot about why I haven't been able to let this book go, even though I constantly wonder if it will ever sell.

No comments: