not what I meant...

I recieved this comment from a friend, and let me make that clear; we are friends and coworkers. We might disagree on some points, but that's okay. But I wanted to address her concerns in a more open forum than the comments trail, to give everyone a chance to speak here. I like discourse. I like to learn. So school me.

I am VERY disappointed that you choose to advocate not voting in a
public forum. Bad girl, Sex! There is a HUGE difference between McCain's continuation of Bush's policies and Obama's policies. You should make a choice and vote and encourage your readers to do the same.


First of all, I do not and never have advocated not voting. I may not vote because withholding my vote makes a political statement. That should have no bearing on what others do. I think it unlikely someone wouldn't vote because of what I said. But just in case, I hearby announce that YOU all should vote if you have a candidate you feel comfortable with.

Secondly, this isn't a political blog; it's a personal one. I'm just spouting off for my own benefit. I lament that I'm tired of choosing the lesser of two evils. That's what voting has become to me.

Third, if I do vote, at this point, it would be for McCain. I feel we need wisdom and experience in the White House (something sorely lacking these past 8 years) and Obama has neither, as far as I can tell. I think he's a good person. I think he means well. But I believe good intentions can pave the road to hell, and I have no faith in Obama's experience on a global scale. I don't agree with his opinions on gay marriage. I don't agree with his quick pull-out plan for the war. His "religious" scandals have certainly affected my opinion of him. And to blithely say McCain is going to "continue" Bush's policies just regurgitates the Democratic party line--a party I do not claim, btw. But don't believe me. I advise everyone to read his website and study the man and the candidate--better yet, both candidates.

One of my main issues with this process is that once again, women have been cut out of the election. (I did not highly advocate Clinton as a candidate either--you can find that in my archives--but half the population has been ignored for far too long.) From what I've read of Obama, he's just another man in a man's club. Men have fucked up things in this country for far too long. It's well past time to let the other half of the population have a go.

I am a registered Independent. I have never claimed a party, and I have been disenfranchised by both parties. I could not cast a vote in the primaries and so my choices, one by one, were eliminated with no opportunity for me to have a say then. Why should I bother saying anything now?

No comments: