cold the realization was

I often get lamblasted in crit group for using the term cold realization. (Or worse: fingers of cold realization crept up his spine. Yeah, it's bad. I'm sure I've got it in a book somewhere.) Word repetition issues aside, the question I get is: How can realization be cold?

This sort of literal translation gets beneath my skin. It strikes me as rules, and in my crit group, most of us--though not me necessarily--are beyond tying down our writing with ropes of rules. But that's besides the point as well. Where did that expression come from? Have I read it somewhere?

Maybe, but I realized last night that I've felt it as well. Like last night, when my back felt cold with the realization of what I'd put my kid through. In the name of medicine (and in this case, orthodontia, which is just one step away from plastic surgery) I sent my kid to endure what some people use as torture. That was a cold realization.

**

I heard some father who lost a son in Iraq talk about how he raised his kid on the Bible (and grits--this was down South) and that was why he served his country and died. He as good as said that belief in Jesus and the Bible translates directly into patriotism. Huh. I wonder if there are any patriots in this country who don't believe? I wonder if there are any Bible-thumpers who are against the war? And exactly which country did this young man support by dying?

No comments: