i'd be annoyed with me too

To set the scene:


Me: in a desperately needed shower
11 year-old-and-51-week-old daughter: trying to head off to a playdate hang out with friends

(I trust dialogue tags aren't needed)

Did you clean  your room?

Yes.

Put your clothes away? Not in the bottom of your closet but hung up?

Yes, Mom.

Brush your hair? Cuz it gets tangled--

YES.

Put all new clothes on, including underwear?

MOM!

I'll take that as a yes.

(mumble mumble)

WHAT? I can't hear you. I'm in the shower.

(mumble mumble)

COME IN HERE  AND TALK TO ME! You know I went to too many--

Concerts when you were young. Yeah. I'm going to her house now.

Why aren't you wearing your contacts?

Don't wanna.

You should. Go put them in. And then get your back pack and get your glasses and phone and contact...case... come back here!

I AM. I HAVE IT ALL. I'M GOING!

And there's money in the drawer but that is not permission to buy a bunch of candy--

I KNOW!!!

That's about enough of that attitude, missy.

I have to shout so you can hear me. (mumble because you're deaf and old mumble)

Okay, text me when you get there.

mumble When do I not? mumble. OkAYyyyyy Mom! Jeez!

Door slam. Didn't let it hit her butt on the way out.

Me, blow-drying, reflecting how I'd be annoyed with myself, too. 

Until...

Later...

I find her back pack.




No comments: