addendum, this is from BOOKSTRAND, an eBook publisher, to a friend/publisher/writer:
Dear Publisher,The "forbidden content" rules include:
We were informed by PayPal, without notice, and by our credit card processing company, that we are required to remove all titles at BookStrand.com with content containing incest, pseudo incest, rape, and bestiality, effective immediately.
We request that you immediately log into your account and unpublish all titles that contain the restricted content. If you have uploaded titles containing restricted content and do not unpublish these titles as we are requesting, we will deactivate your entire publisher account, which will remove all your titles from sale.
- Pedophilia in any size, shape, or form.
- Any form of sex with minors or any character under eighteen years old.
- Sex with a young character still in high school or using variations of "teenager" or "barely turned" 18 or 19 for sexual titillation.
- Hatred for characters based on race/ethnicity or religion.
- Hatred or bashing of gays/lesbians.
- Titles with covers that show male or female genitalia, butt cracks, or the female nipple.
- Any combination of incest or sexual acts involving an immediate family member.
- Pseudo incest or sexual acts with parents or siblings ("step" or "foster") for the purposes of titillation.
- Rape for the purposes of titillation.
- Scenes of non-consensual bondage or non-consensual sado-masochistic practices.
- Bestiality with naturally occurring animals.- Sex with non-animated corpses.
- Scat play (sexual acts involving urination and defecation).
- Harmful content such as instructions on how to make a bomb, etc.
Okay. Scat? Rape? Snuff? All ick. Don't like it. I don't even really like the whole bondage/psuedo rape scene, though plenty of folks are into it and as one writer brought up in our G+ discussion, all D/s play involves at least a slight edge of non-consent. As for bombs and... and ETC??? ECT??? Etc is a pretty damn vague rule. But lets try to take it in the vein in which it was intended. No bomb instructions. Chekc. But how about detailing how to load your gun? Or what if someone pushes someone else off a cliff? What if they push a whole bunch of somebodies?? Oh I know, what about a thriller in which someone steals the nuclear codes or hacks into CIA or outsmarts a Navy Seal--Oooo, or gay people marrying, thereby ruining the institution of marriage for the rest of us!!
This is how it starts, people.
What's next? No M/F/M or M/M? Or how about no sex at all. Yeah. Let's all just pretend we were all immaculately conceptioned.
And really, who the fuck is PayPal (and this mysterious credit card company which I'm guessing is Mastercard since everytime I log into their account I'm offered a PayPal Mastercard) to decide what's worth selling? Seriously. Company accounts are being suspended over this. PayPal is largely unregulated and runs rampant; it doesn't take much Googling to work that out. (go ahead, I'll wait) Anyone who builds reputable online payment systems eschews PP. I have personally heard of money disappearing from accounts. (You want to constantly move your money from PayPal to your bank account, btw. Consider it along the vein of backing up your work.)
Okay. I'm going to write my space opera now. Guess what? In my WIP one person is leading another around by a collar and chain. Against her will. Damn. It'll never sell.
Not through PayPal, anyway.