interview

I thought the interview over at Erica's was elegant and deceptive in its simplicity.  Go take a read, the writer, Alan Orloff, is an online acquaintance of mine. And he has a new book out: DIAMONDS FOR THE DEAD.  From what I can tell, it's Alan interviewing himself, and he did well. 

For meta-cognitive sake, I decided to take the interview myself and I expect you guys to do the same. Bold text is Alan's.

If you asked 50 writers to describe their “writing processes,” you’d probably get 75 different responses. Some writers stick to a set of inviolable rules, others “meander across the meadow,” while others invoke voodoo dolls and incense, heavy on the incense (substitute “alcohol” for “incense” as required).
Heavy on the alcohol


Do you write daily or whenever you can grab a chance?
Almost daily (getting to be a five day week though as I carve out real actual working hours when other people work and educate themselves as well)
.

Are you an outliner or a “seat-of-the-pantser”?
I'm a  Story-boarder--posterboard, stickies or notecards (I have stacks of notecards all over the place) and I keep a notebook that I rarely look in again once I do. It's mostly for freewriting, jamming out ideas, etc.


Do you revise as you go or do you plow through?
I do rolling revisions. I go back a bit over what I've written the day before to get myself in the frame, and then I write by scene/chapter goals, not word counts. This comes from my habit of story-boarding my stories and books.


Do you write what you want or what you think has a shot of selling?So far I'm better at picking out what I like to write rather than what sells.

Do you listen to music when you write?
Often. I can also write through storms, kids, and The Great Squirrel Wars of 2010. The one thing I can't write through is guilt--as in I should be spending time with the family or reading  slush at Electric Spec. Hence the stricter and stricter office hours.

Now y'all go forth and answer and leave us a link in the comments.

No comments: