who would you be?

I don't always identify with other authors. Don't get me wrong, I love me my writer friends. But when I think fame and glory and living the good life off the fruits of my creativity, I don't think writers.

I think Rock Stars. Parties. Tours. Adoring fans. Bright lights. People stopping you on the street. I read a couple of author blogs regularly, but I devour Rolling Stone. 

I'm lucky by any standard. I get to write much of every day, and I don't have to eat off the proceeds. (Though at this point with the economy, it'd be nice.)  I have actually sold some stuff. Not anything like enough, if you count my millions of words and thousands of hours, but there you are.

But if I sell the Big One without achieving rock star fame I think a little corner of me will always be disappointed. (Right now that's rather a big corner, as I have no fame.)  Right now it seems like an impossible dream, actually.  More impossible than ever.  I'm at a point where I feel the last seven (!) years have earned me very little. Just staring down submitting SCAR when it's ready is daunting. And I am getting a little old for fame, I suppose.

So, advice. 

How do you motivate yourself when success seems damned near impossible?

No comments: