rebel yell

I think at one time or another, we all like to play the rebel.  Sometimes it's born out of boredom.  Sometimes of interests that diverge from the norm.  And sometimes it's a conscious choice a person makes after being pushed out.  I think that might be the most real form of rebel there is.  If you look at gangs (one of the classic, most adamant rebels of Today) it comes from being pushed away from society.  I spent a lot of years trying to ingratiate myself into the anomaly we call "normal", and of course it never worked.  I just didn't have the Right Stuff.  I spent a lot of years caring, too.  I can't say I'm entirely over that; ignoring is easier said than done.  But in general, I'm happy on the outskirts.  That's cool with me.

Trinidad is in the midst of a similar life journey.  He tried to throw himself wholeheartedly into Christianity and the Church. I know that feeling of surrender and relief.  But really, it's fleeting because all along he forsook himself. (And, incidentally, I believe that's the greatest slight you can give God.)  Trinidad is learning that. In SCAR, his character development is all wrapped up in that journey.

But he's not alone in that, right? Really, every protagonist, if written well, is a rebel. They have to do things that set them apart.  We can even call it the Rebel Journey (it'll make us sound scholarly.)  What does your protag's Rebel Journey look like?

No comments: