here we go again

I've found Christian proselytizers easy to avoid, but I'm finding atheist proselytizers in all corners of the Internet lately. It's odd. And interestingly, I've learned something. I could really give a fuck what other people believe. Yanno, cuz I learned in second grade, after having it drilled into me by my teacher: I'm in charge of one person. Me.

Not so with some non-believers. They come from all walks and seem eager to make fun, harass, run off, and generally hate believers. And it's really disappointing, because they're doing the EXACT THING they claim is wrong about religion.

Hello? The other thing I learned in 2nd Grade...two wrongs don't make a right.

I have NEVER EVER made fun of someone who does not believe in God. Actually, before about two weeks ago, wondering whether someone believes or not rarely, if ever, entered into the equation. I don't sit in church and wish other people would "come to God." I don't pray for heathen souls. (In fact, it's a frequent joke I make against myself.) I could give a shit if you go to church, pray at home, think the whole thing is a crock, go to one of those massive churches with screens and rock music, still think your Catholic priest walks on water, whatever. Further, I have a complete lack of understanding of how someone can kill someone over something like religion. (That discovery process is part of why I'm writing SCAR.) I don't understand the fervent need to make fun of believers or to downgrade nonbelievers, like I've heard several (not a couple. Several.) atheists do recently. I have never considered belief or disbelief an essential characteristic for trust or relationship.

Until now.

Now I feel as wary around atheists as I do the obnoxious evangelical. Oh, I realize it's in vogue, but it doesn't make it right. To take stabs at something really important to someone is as separating as planting a bomb or keeping people from being with the one they love or spreading hatred in any form. Hate is hate is hate. Doesn't matter what color its flag is.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHY YOU SPREAD HATE OR THE FORM IT TAKES. MAKING FUN OF OTHER PEOPLE SPREADS HATRED. WE DIDN'T LIKE IT IN JR HIGH. WE DON'T LIKE IT NOW.

Fuck, people. Can't we just get along?

No comments: