a trickle, a flood

After a few weeks of words dripping like slow tears onto the page (all right, computer keyboard) my book has taken off. I wrote four pages in a half-hour today, right at the end of my rather puttering writing session. My fingers could barely keep up with my head. My protag finally decided to open up a bit and talk to me, and his cohort (and soon to be lover) is showing signs of the sense of humor and flair I suspected he had.

I have no idea how long this will keep up, but I do know one thing: the pre-synopsis has helped.

excerpt, hot off the presses:

“Trinidad.” Castile sounded out of breath.

“Castile,” he answered. “I’m here.”

He heard movement in the darkness. “We’re in your rooms. Is there a way to shed some light?”

“That’s just it,” he said. “There should be…” A moan cut him off. It sounded like it came from all around.

“Something’s not right,” he said lowly.

A pale light grew around them, grey, weak, but enough. Trinidad stared down at the creature beneath him. On her side, limbs askew, quite dead, she bore no resemblance to the creature he'd just killed. She’d sunk into herself, skin stretched tight over bones. Lank hair stuck to her gaunt skull. Her breasts hung like spent balloons and each rib threatened to burst through her grey skin. Her mouth hung open, tongue lolling like a pale slug. He caught the faintest scent of rot from her.

He climbed to his feet and took his sword away, gripping it tightly in his shaking hands. My God, he asked the blackness. What were these creatures?



I've some friends who require good luck for sundry reasons.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Editorial tidbit for the day: the reason we like to see two spaces after our colons and one after our semi-colons is because our tired eyes need help at the end of long days at the monitor. Also, although it's technically correct, I loathe capitalization after a colon, even if the following makes a full sentence. My personal bias.

I'm hitting some ElectricSpec stories tonight.

No comments: