the proverbial stick up the arse

I first (and last) broached this topic in this post. You don't have to read the whole thing. It basically says that though I don't know a lot about music, I've probably got a minimum of fifteen years on you so I know more than you do. (I've been working on my synopsis skills, so how was that?)

I would have ignored this, but Amber's such a nice chic I can't blow her off. So here goes...

1. Total number of music files on my (extremely fucked up at the moment) computer:
Well, let me bring up iTunes and find out...
376 songs, 1.22 GB

God, it's so fucking fascinating already, can you stand it?

Now for the scintilating explanation--I only download cds that I want on my ipod. I only use the ipod to work out so most of it is rockin' or pop tunes. For instance, I do my abs to the first Matrix CD.

I know, you just can't wait to read what I write next.

2. Last cd I bought:
Jack Johnson and Beck, and I'm enjoying both. PHF dislikes Jack Johnson. Too slow. He brings out my girlie side, and shit, you know that can't be good. I know I'm a bit late on both, but I don't have to have music the second it comes out (cuz, I'm all mature, don't you know). My next purchase will be the new NIN.

3. Song playing right now: oddly enough, nothing.

4. Five songs that mean a lot to me:

Huh.

The prerequisite U2 song: mine is Wake Up Dead Man

tlisten to your words they’ll tell you what to do
listen over the rhythm that’s confusing you
listen to the reed in the saxophone
listen over the hum of the radio
listen over sounds of blades in rotation
listen through the traffic and circulation
listen as hope and peace try to rhyme
listen over marching bands playing out their time


I love the music in that song, I love the under-track, I love the poetry, I love the meaning... one of my favs.


Seasons in the Sun. I've always loved that song, even before I knew what it meant.

Holiday by Green Day. It's got a rockin' beat and I was so disappointed when he didn't hold the long note at the end in concert. However, he did one later, so that's cool. Incidently, American Idiot is my favorite album of all time. Can't see anybody writing anything that will usurp that distinction, though of course Tommy is a close second. I like it when tunes tell a story, but more on that later.

Linkin Park's (I know, Tomibuns, I know) Somewhere I Belong. It doesn't apply to myself at all, but the lyrics belong to one of my characters. I use this verse in my third book:

When this began
I had nothing to say
And I’d get lost in the nothingness inside of me
I was confused
And I let it all out to find that I’m
Not the only person with these things in mind
But all the vacancy the words revealed
Is the only real thing that I’ve got left to feel
Nothing to lose
Just stuck, hollow and alone
And the fault is my own
And the fault is my own


I like lots and lots of the ubiquitous, enigmatic REM:

it’s not like if angels
could truly look down
stir up the trappings
and light on the ground
remind us of what, when, why or who
that how’s up to us, me and you
and now is greater than the whole of the past


And of course the Indulgers, this local band here. I admire them because they are first and foremost prolific, which I can identify with. Also they're Irish, so they appreciate a decent ale. But mostly it's about the poetry and the story of it all. Like American Idiot, most of their songs are story first, meaning second; which is the way all great art does. I could write an entire book based on these lyrics alone. I expect I will someday.

Chase the Ghost:
Throughout the night I'll stay awake
Not a wink will I take
A lonely candle lights they way, along the road
To find the answers, to change the most
They chase the ghost


There's Jason Mraz, whose lyrics start my entire series. My boy loves Jason Mraz. Some of his stuff is slow and sappy, but when he get's going... well, the man has an incredible voice. These would be the only lyrics I'd fight to keep in publication, if it comes to it (which it surely will).

The remedy is the experience
Cause it’s a dangerous liaison
I say the comedy is that it’s serious
Cause it’s a strange enough new play on words
I say the tragedy is how you’re going to spend
The rest of your nights with the light on
So shine the light on all of your friends
When it all amounts to nothing in the end


And I've always loved INXS:

In a rooom above a busy street
The echoes of a life
The fragments and the accidents
Separated by incidents
Listened to by the walls
We share the same spaces
Repeated in the corridors
Performing the same movements
Storey to storey
Building to building
Street to street
We pass each other on the stairs

The nature of your tragedy
Is chained around your neck
Do you lead or are you led
Are you sure that you don't care
There are reasons here to give your life
And follow in your way
The passion lives to keep your faith
Through all are different all are great
Climbing as we fall
We dare to hold on to our fate
And steal away our destiny
To catch ourselves with quiet grace


I mean, that's just some goddamn great poetry, and I don't even like poetry; which leads me neatly into why I hate these these kinds of posts. And yes, I'm a hypocrite and hate lyrics in books, except for mine, cuz it's totally a different thing, you know.

The lyrics mean nothing to me without the music. I hope you've heard these songs so you can hear the music as you read the lyrics (if you read the lyrics).

You know, all that is just bullshit, anyway. My favorite song is whatever song my baby-girl is singing at the moment.

5. I'm not passing this. The buck stops here.

However, I'm going to set up some questions about books, and I'll pass it to Greg, Amber, Sandy, and... oh, Harley. Tomorrow, or sometime, I'll answer my own questions about this.


1. How much do you read?

2. Favorite genre(s)?

3. What qualities must a book have to keep you up reading all night?

4. How do you find something to read?

5. Favorite books and why?

6. What are you reading right now and is it any good?

7. Paperback or hard back?

8. Any great quotes?

No comments: